Do you live in New York, have a bachelor’s degree, and a passion for helping students learn?
If so, it has never been easier to start substitute teaching in the Empire State.
Swing Education matches New York substitute teachers with local schools. We will:
- Reimburse your start-up fees
- Connect you to assignments at schools in your area
- Prepare and support you every step of the way!
Just follow these three easy steps, and you’ll be well on your way to making a difference for K-12 students near you.
1. Sign Up with Swing
Get started in less than two minutes by registering online. Once you complete the form, our team will guide you through next steps with a confirmation email. We also offer an optional introductory conference call with a member of the Swing team where you can ask questions and learn more about the ways Swing supports you as a substitute teacher.
2. Complete Background Screening
Before starting with Swing Education, you’ll need to go through a criminal background check. Here’s how to do it. (If you become a substitute teacher with Swing Education, we will reimburse you for all expenses from your background check!)
If You’ve Already Been Fingerprinted
If you’ve been fingerprinted since 2001 with the New York State Education Department (NYSED), you won’t need to get fingerprinted again. By providing us with a few pieces of identifying information, we’ll be able to conduct a current background check based on your initial fingerprint.
How To Schedule Your Fingerprinting Appointment
- Visit the IdentoGO site
- Enter your information and follow the prompts to set up your appointment
- Save the confirmation email for your records
Day of Your Fingerprint Appointment
- Bring the government-issued identification you provided when you signed up for the appointment
- Be prepared to pay $99 by business check, money order, or credit card
- At the conclusion of your appointment, the MorphoTrust enrollment agent will provide you with an IdentoGo receipt stating that you were fingerprinted. (Note: Keep your receipt so that Swing Education can reimburse you after you start subbing with us!)
After Your Fingerprint Appointment
You can check your submission status by clicking on this link.
To Complete Your Background Check
In addition to the aforementioned local background check with NYSED, you’ll need to complete a national background check, through Checkr. You can do that by filling out this form.
3. Start Subbing!
Now comes the fun part. Once you’ve successfully completed the first two steps and have officially joined the Swing Education substitute teacher community, you will immediately start receiving notifications for assignments at New York schools.
- You’ll be able to teach when you want — you can choose to take or leave any assignment that comes your way.
- You’ll have access to opportunities at numerous partner schools.
- You’ll be able to Explore Substitute Teacher Jobs in New York!
Ready to go? Sign up today.