Frequently Asked Questions
Each of our school partners sets their own pay rates -- and as a Swing sub, you’ll know the pay for an assignment before you accept it.
That way, you decide what rate you are willing to work for.
Here are ballpark pay ranges for some of our regions:
- Bay Area (CA) $150 – $225
- Los Angeles (CA) $160 – $190
- Orange County (CA) $160 – $175
- San Diego (CA) $150 – $160
- Washington D.C. $135 – $145
- Inland Empire (CA) $120 – $140
- Central Valley (CA) $130 – $140
- New Jersey $115 – $130
There are several great benefits to being a Swing substitute teacher:
- We pay weekly
- We reimburse you for your onboarding expenses, such as your background check/TB test and most permit-related costs
- You can easily accept assignments with our text-based notification system or on our online platform
- We connect you with a wide range of teaching opportunities, at public, charter, and private schools
- You can work as much or as little as you want — there’s no minimum commitment required
- Our dedicated support team understands how hard you work and is here to answer your questions, help you succeed, and do our best to make your experience as a Swing sub a positive one
- You’ll get cool perks, like invitations to special celebrations with fellow Swing subs, access to the Swing Sub Lounge (a supportive online community of Swing subs), and more
Although requirements vary by school and region, all Swing subs need to pass a background check and hold a bachelor’s degree (in any subject).
It depends on the region and the school. Many schools do submit requests for non-certificated subs. However, having a credential or permit significantly increases your opportunities and options.
Swing offers a range of resources to help you obtain your permit, including reimbursement for most permit-related expenses.
- You set your own schedule — you work as much or as little as you want
- You get paid weekly with the flexibility of direct deposit or being sent a check
- Onboarding takes only 1-2 weeks
- We offer a number of cool perks, including bonuses, special events, reimbursement for permit costs, and more
Swing subs have access to our expansive network of partners, which includes a range of public, charter, and private schools. Sign up to receive a list of schools in your region.
We currently work with schools in California, New Jersey, Washington D.C., Texas (Dallas), and Tennessee (Nashville), but check back often to see if we have expanded into your region.
Because substitute teachers are independent contractors, we don’t provide direct benefits.
However, we reimburse costs for your onboarding and offer a range of online resources to help you grow as an educator.
Feel free to email us email@example.com if you’d like additional information about substitute teaching with Swing Education.