Frequently Asked Questions
Each of our school partners sets their own pay rates -- and as a SwingSub, you’ll know the pay for an assignment before you accept it.
That way, you decide what rate you are willing to work for.
Here are ballpark pay ranges for some of our regions:
- Bay Area (CA): up to $225
- Los Angeles (CA): up to $190
- Orange County (CA): up to $175
- San Diego (CA): up to $160
- Inland Empire (CA): up to $140
- Central Valley (CA): up to $140
- New Jersey: up to $130
- Washington D.C.: up to $145
There are several great benefits to being a substitute teacher with Swing:
- We pay weekly
- You can easily accept assignments with our text-based notification system or on our online platform
- We connect you with a wide range of teaching opportunities, at public, charter, and private schools
- Our dedicated support team understands how hard you work and is here to answer your questions, help you succeed, and do our best to make your experience as a substitute teacher a positive one
- You’ll get cool perks, like invitations to special celebrations with fellow subs, rewards, and more
Although requirements vary by school and region, all substitute teachers with Swing need to pass a background check and hold a bachelor’s degree (in any subject).
It depends on the region and the school. Many schools do submit requests for non-certificated subs. However, having a credential or permit significantly increases your opportunities and options.
- You set your own schedule
- You get paid weekly
- Onboarding takes only 1-2 weeks
- We offer a number of cool perks, including bonuses, special events, rewards and more.
Swing subs have access to our expansive network of partners, which includes a range of public, charter, and private schools.
We currently work with schools in California, Arizona, Texas, Washington D.C., New Jersey, New York and Chicago, Illinois, but check back often to see if we have expanded into your region.
Swing doesn’t directly offer full-time opportunities for substitute teachers, but schools do use us to fill long-term requests, and some SwingSubs have landed full-time positions.
To get the best experience out of Swing and take part in the perks we offer, we recommend that you work at least 7 days per month.
There is no cost to use our service! However, you are responsible for any costs associated with getting your account set up. Setup steps vary by state. Typically this will include a background check and/or a TB test.
You are notified as soon as a school issues a request! There are three ways you can see (and accept) requests: via text message, on our online platform, or through our app!