You may think that becoming a substitute teacher is a tough process. Perhaps you’re imagining the old days, when you had to deal with mountains of paperwork, long interviews, and other time-consuming bureaucracies.
But at Swing Education, we believe subbing should be easy. We’re not your old-school company — our subs are free to fill in whenever they want, for as long as they want, in the classrooms that appeal to them the most.
And, we believe that applying to be a sub should be just as straightforward. Here are the three easy steps to take to start subbing with Swing today.
1. Complete the registration form
To start the process, just fill out this quick registration form. This will help us get to know you and what opportunities you’re looking for. Once you complete the form, you’ll get a confirmation email with next steps. We will also create a profile for you in our substitute teacher portal.
2. Attend a quick on-boarding conference call
Instead of coming in for an in-person interview, to get started, teachers can simply set up a 30-minute conference call directly from the registration confirmation email. Along with other interested educators, you’ll find out all the information you need to get started:
- Who we are as a company and how we support our subs
- What next steps you need to take before you enter the classroom
- Instructions to obtain your California substitute permit (if you don’t already have it) to unlock more opportunities
- Answers to additional questions you may have
Credentialed and permitted candidates can choose to be fast-tracked and skip this step entirely.
3. Get fingerprinted and get a TB test
Before you start teaching, Swing will need a couple pieces of additional documentation.
First, Swing Education will need to run a background check. A crucial part of this check is getting fingerprinted. To do this, you can go to a WellnessMart location or any other LiveScan location.
- Wellness Marts: WellnessMart scans are free and don’t require an appointment. Sign up online for any location that works for you. Your fingerprint scans will be sent along to Swing for you.
- LiveScan: If you can’t make it to a WellnessMart, you can go to any LiveScan location. Download and fill out this form. Keep your receipt and Swing will reimburse you once you’re onboarded.
You’ll also need to get a TB test. You also have two options to complete this:
- If you’ve had a TB test in the past 18 months, email in a copy of a negative scan.
- If you haven’t had a TB test recently, you can get your TB test at a WellnessMart while you’re getting fingerprinted. You’ll return two days after your test to get your results — and the results will be automatically sent in to Swing.
- If you can’t make it to a WellnessMart, you can go to your doctor or any other clinic. They can email us a copy of the negative results. Save the receipt for any cost to you, and we’ll reimburse you once you’re onboarded.
It generally takes 5-10 days for the fingerprint scans and the TB test results to reach Swing.
Now comes the fun part. Once you get approved by Swing, you will immediately start receiving notifications for available opportunities:
- You’ll be able to teach when you want to — you can choose to take or leave any assignment that comes your way.
- You’ll have access to opportunities available at hundreds of partner districts and schools.
- You’ll be able to sub at a variety of schools in California — public, charter, and private — as well as any grade levels you’re able to support.
Ready to go? Sign up today.