You may think that becoming a substitute teacher is a tough process. Perhaps you’re imagining the old days, when you had to deal with mountains of paperwork, long interviews, and other time-consuming bureaucracies.
But at Swing Education, we believe subbing should be easy. We’re not your old-school company — our subs are free to fill in whenever they want, for as long as they want, in the classrooms that appeal to them the most.
And, we believe that applying to be a sub should be just as straightforward. Here are the three easy steps to take to start subbing with Swing today.
1. Complete the registration form
To start the process, just fill out this quick registration form. This will help us get to know you and what opportunities you’re looking for. Once you complete the form, you’ll get a confirmation email with next steps. We will also create a profile for you in our substitute teacher portal.
2. Attend a quick on-boarding conference call
Instead of coming in for an in-person interview, to get started, teachers can simply set up a 30-minute conference call directly from the registration confirmation email. Along with other interested educators, you’ll find out all the information you need to get started:
- Who we are as a company and how we support our subs
- What next steps you need to take before you enter the classroom
- Instructions to obtain your California substitute permit (if you don’t already have it) to unlock more opportunities
- Answers to additional questions you may have
Credentialed and permitted candidates can choose to be fast-tracked and skip this step entirely.
3. Get fingerprinted and get a TB test
Before you start teaching, Swing will need a couple pieces of additional documentation.
First, we’ll need to run a background check. A crucial part of this check is getting fingerprinted. To do this, you can go to a WellnessMart location or any other Live Scan location.
- WellnessMart: WellnessMart scans are free and don’t require an appointment. To get started, log in to your Swing account and then select the “put me on the WellnessMart list” option. This will automatically put your name into WellnessMart’s system for any location that works for you. After you complete the scan, your results will automatically be sent to Swing.
- Other Live Scan Location: If you can’t make it to a WellnessMart, you can go to any Live Scan location. Download and fill out this form and bring it to your appointment. Keep your receipt and Swing will reimburse you after you’ve completed your first day subbing with us..
You’ll also need to pass a TB test. (You won’t need to fill out a form before your TB test, however. It will be provided to you at the appointment.)
We recommend completing the TB test requirement in one of two ways:
- If you’ve had a TB test in the past four years, upload a copy of a negative scan to your Swing profile.
- If you haven’t had a TB test recently, we recommend doing a TB risk assessment. You can complete a risk assessment at WellnessMart or your local clinic/provider.
If you don’t have a current TB test and do not pass the risk assessment, the next step would be to get a skin test. You can do this with the same clinic/provider that administers the risk assessment. (If you get your skin test at WellnessMart, the results will automatically be sent to Swing. If you get it at another provider, upload a copy of the negative results to your profile. Save the receipt for any cost to you, and we’ll reimburse you once you’ve subbed your first day with us.)
It generally takes 5-10 days for Swing to receive your Live Scan results and 2-3 days for TB tests.
Note: If you are not able to successfully complete the TB requirement via risk assessment or skin test, contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we’ll walk you through the next steps.
Now comes the fun part. Once you get approved by Swing, you will immediately start receiving notifications for available opportunities:
- You’ll be able to teach when you want to — you can choose to take or leave any assignment that comes your way.
- You’ll have access to opportunities available at hundreds of partner districts and schools.
- You’ll be able to start your Search for Substitute Teacher Jobs in the Bay Area — public, charter, and private — as well as any grade levels you’re able to support.
Ready to go? Sign up today.