You may think that becoming a substitute teacher is a tough process. Perhaps you’re imagining the old days, when you had to deal with mountains of paperwork, long interviews, and other time-consuming bureaucracies.
But at Swing Education, we believe subbing should be easy. We’re not your old-school company — our subs are free to fill in whenever they want, for as long as they want, in the classrooms that appeal to them the most.
And, we believe that applying to be a sub should be just as straightforward. Here are the three easy steps to take to start subbing with Swing today.
1. Complete the registration form
To start the process, just fill out this quick registration form. This will help us get to know you and what opportunities you’re looking for. Once you complete the form, you’ll get a confirmation email with next steps. We will also create a profile for you in our substitute teacher portal.
Along with other interested educators, you’ll find out all the information you need to get started:
- Who we are as a company and how we support our subs
- What next steps you need to take before you enter the classroom
- Instructions to obtain your California substitute permit (if you don’t already have it) to unlock more opportunities
- Answers to additional questions you may have
Credentialed and permitted candidates can choose to be fast-tracked and skip this step entirely.
2. Get fingerprinted
Before you start teaching, Swing will need a couple pieces of additional documentation.
First, we’ll need to run a background check. A crucial part of this check is getting fingerprinted. To do this, you can go to a WellnessMart location or any other Live Scan location.
- UPS Stores: Most UPS stores conduct live scan fingerprinting. We recommend calling your local UPS store to make sure they conduct livescans. Then, download and fill out this form and bring it to your appointment. After you complete the scan, your results will automatically be sent to Swing.
- WellnessMart: WellnessMart scans don’t require an appointment. To get started, log in to your Swing account to find more information.
- Other Live Scan Locations: If you can’t make it to a WellnessMart, you can go to any Live Scan location. Download and fill out this form and bring it to your appointment.
3. Get a TB test
You’ll also need to pass a TB test. We recommend completing the TB test requirement in one of two ways:
- You can either take a risk assessment (to get started, log in to your Swing account) or complete a skin test with your doctor/provider or at Wellnessmart.
- If you’ve had a TB test in the past four years, upload a copy of a negative scan to your Swing profile.
It generally takes 5-10 days for Swing to receive your Live Scan results and 2-3 days for TB tests.
Note: If you are not able to successfully complete the TB requirement via risk assessment or skin test, contact us (email@example.com), and we’ll walk you through the next steps.
Now comes the fun part. Once you get approved by Swing, you will immediately start receiving notifications for available opportunities:
- You’ll be able to teach when you want to — you can choose to take or leave any assignment that comes your way.
- You’ll have access to opportunities available at hundreds of partner districts and schools.
- You’ll be able to start your search for substitute opportunities with schools — public, charter, and private — as well as any grade levels you’re able to support.
Ready to go? Sign up today.